Superintendent Rodney Green introduced to the board Tim Nabors, former superintendent of Marshall County Schools, as interim assistant superintendent of Blount County Schools. He will serve in that position while a permanent replacement for former assistant superintendent Stoney Beavers, who retired, is sought. Nabors has served interim periods as superintendent of Oneonta City Schools, and recently as interim principal of Oneonta Middle School.
In its business session, the board approved Green’s operating recommendations for the period. It approved:
• Susan Moore High School girls soccer team to go to Choccolocco Park, Oxford, Feb. 14-15.
• Cleveland Elementary School fifth grade to go to the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga on May 7.
Agreements and contracts
• Cleveland Elementary School’s contract with “Just for You” Coach to transport students to and from Chattanooga on May 7.
• Hayden Middle School’s contract with Denise Harrill Reading, Comprehensive and Application Interventionist LLC, for 19 hours of training.
• Locust Fork High School’s contract with Melissa Brown for supervision of the softball/baseball concession stand for the Athletic Booster Club for the 2020 seasons, including any area and/or playoff games.
• Blount County Board of Education’s contracts with Premiere Speakers Bureau for Troy Kemp to serve as a speaker on Aug. 4, Ida Burton to provide translation services on an as-needed basis from Feb. 3 to May 29, and Tim Nabors to serve as interim assistant superintendent Feb. 3 to May 29; and dual enrollment agreement with Auburn University.
• amending Appalachian School’s current contract with Locker Pro to include an additional 102 lockers in the elementary area.
• amending Dr. Rhonda Poling’s contract approved on Oct. 7, 2019, to reflect a not-to-exceed amount of $31,500.
• Locust Fork High School: Lacey Boyd, Kenny Finley, and Rachel Harris
• Susan Moore High School: Stephanie Sims (all for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year)
• awarding the service truck chassis bid opened on Jan. 22 to Terry Sligh Chevrolet of Oneonta.
• Ginger Dorning, from information systems specialist at Blountsville Elementary School to special education aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Feb. 18.
• Tammy Quinn, from school bus aide to school bus driver at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Feb. 4.
• Abbie Latta as long-term substitute teacher for Valerie Jones, teacher at Cleveland Elementary School, from Feb. 24 to April 24 (dates subject to change).
• Linda Finch as long-term substitute teacher for Sarah Adams, teacher at Hayden Middle School, from Feb. 24 to May 15.
• Sharon Nelms as utility school bus driver for Blount County Schools, effective Feb. 4.
• Tiffany Brooke Northcutt as special education aide at the Blount County Learning Center, from Feb. 4 to the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
• Amber Johnson as Child Nutrition Program employee at Hayden Middle School, effective Feb. 4.
• Shana Vandermark as school bus aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Feb. 4.
All members of the board were present for it’s regular business meeting Monday, Feb. 3.