Those 65 and older and retired due to disability must requalify for property tax exemptions

Blount County Revenue Commissioner

Blount County Revenue Commissioner

By the time most readers see this, those affected will have received a letter in the mail from Blount County Revenue Commissioner Chris Green. Intended for all citizens 65 or older, blind, or retired due to permanent and total disability who are currently receiving property tax exemptions, it is reprinted below. If you have not yet received it, read it carefully now. If you received it but didn’t read it carefully at the time, do so now. Don’t disregard it, because it requires timely action on your part. Failure to take necessary action by the deadline will result in loss of your property tax exemption. The letter below explains what you must do and why.

Dear Blount County Taxpayer,

Revisions in current law have made changes regarding those entitled to receive property tax exemptions. If you are 65 years of age or older, retired due to permanent and total disability, or blind, it is necessary to requalify for the 2013 tax year exemption.

Both disability and over-65 exemptions now have a taxable income threshold of $12,000. You will not receive the card that you have received in the past by mail. Please come to the revenue commission office, at Oneonta or Hayden, during regular business hours, prior to Sept. 30, 2012, to claim your exemption.

Please bring your 2011 federal income tax return. If you and your spouse filed separately, please bring both returns. If you are not required to file a federal tax return, simply come to the revenue office to sign for your exemption.

If you are under age 65 and are claiming exemption due to disability, please bring your Social Security benefit awards letter in addition to your 2011 federal income tax return. Your State of Alabama income tax return is no longer required.

If you are unable to come to the revenue office, please send a personal representative with the required documentation. If a personal representative is not available, please call. We will make every effort to accommodate you.

If you have questions regarding this notice, please call (205) 625-4117.

Kindest regards,