Acting on the recommendation of the health department, Spring Valley Beach was closed Sunday after reports of illness were received from a couple of groups that visited the park.
Travis Gilliland, one of the park’s owners, says the water in the park has been tested and, depending on the results of those tests, the park could reopen this weekend.
“We’ve been in business for 44 years,” said Gilliland, “and this is the first time we’ve had to deal with anything like this.”
Reports have circulated on social media that the parasite cryptosporidium was the culprit.
“One of the people in the group did test positive for the parasite,” said Gilliland. “Either way, the water is being treated and the water will be monitored by the health department and park staff. If we get the results back and they are clear we will reopen this weekend.”