The Oneonta City Board of Education held its regular monthly meeting Oct. 31 and approved all of Superintendent Mike Douglas’s recommendations:
• terminated employment and all supplemental duties effective immediately for Wesley Garmon, high school social studies teacher
• accepted resignation letter from Shannon Jones, middle school social studies teacher
• approved Michael Stewart to fill maternity leave of absence for high school teacher Elissa Archer
• approved Carolyn Grisso as volunteer assistant coach for girls soccer
• accepted the retirement request of Rosanna (Ann) Hollingsworth, of the custodial staff, effective Dec. 1.
The superintendent presented a new board policy on Youth Suicide Awareness and Prevention, based on the Jason Flatt Act, for first reading.
He also requested board members to review a previously-read board policy regarding the Safety Program as a requirement of compliance monitoring and be prepared to approve it as written.
New board member Tracy Shea was appointed as an alternate to attend an Alabama Association of School Boards meeting in the event member Ricky Hicks is unable to attend. Special meeting
At a special meeting called Nov. 8, the board approved two additional recommendations from the superintendent:
• approved voluntary transfer of John Fallin from sixth-grade English/language arts teacher to sixth-grade social studies teacher
• approved employment of Angela Davidson as middle school teacher for the 2016-17 school year, effective Nov. 9.