The Oneonta City Schools board met Feb. 26, and in a brief session, approved Superintendent Daniel Smith’s recommendations for the month and received his monthly highlights report of school activities. The board acted on the following recommendations:
• approved the seventh grade out-of-state field trip to Washington, D. C., March 14-18.
• approved facilities-use agreement for Oneonta /Blount County Fraternal Order of Police for April 6.
• approved purchase of a 2019 type C 72-passenger school bus for $77,432.
• approved transfer of deed for 2.73- acre baseball field to the city of Oneonta.
• rejected the bid from South Alabama Bus Sales for purchase of a surplus bus.
• approved the audited financial statements for fiscal year 2017.
• approved revision to the 2018-2019 Oneonta City Schools calendar.
• approved the 2019-2020 Oneonta City Schools calendar.
Smith’s report of highlights of school activities included mention of the school accreditation team’s three-day visit to complete the review process last month. He thanked students, faculty, and staff for the cooperative reception they provided and stated that the team’s preliminary report was good. The final report is expected in the coming weeks.
He congratulated the Athletic Booster Club for concluding a very successful annual fundraiser with profits of more than $16,000. He also announced the date of the next school board meeting – March 19 at 5:30 p.m. with a preceding work session at 4 p.m. – and noted the upcoming spring break, March 26-30.