Oneonta City Council advertises two jobs

The Oneonta City Council accepted the resignation of assistant court clerk magistrate Felipe Vargas, and immediately voted to advertise to fill the full-time position. The council also authorized advertising the vacant position of a full-time public works maintenance employee.

Beautification Board chairman Marlene Stroud announced the committee’s monthly award winners. Receiving recognition were Carr, Riggs, and Ingram for the business award, and for the residence award, Ed and Rebecca Gassett. Recipients were given engraved plaques for the “elegant enhancement of Oneonta” as Mayor Ross Norris phrased it.

City manager Ed Lowe reported that the sewer line relocation has been completed in connection with the Wallace State academic building construction project. The sewer line work took about 45 days due to rain delays. Work has resumed on the main building. A change order has been given to the contractor to provide for a full chemistry lab in the building. The project is now about 60 days behind schedule. Some recovery of lost time is considered possible, with prime building weather now in store for the coming months.

Present at the meeting were Norris, and councilors Richard Phillips, Nathaniel Butler, Tonya Rogers, and Danny Robinson. Councilor Hal Blackwood was absent. The Oneonta City Council meets regularly on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.

Following the business meeting, a work session was held with the city council and the park and recreation committee. Lowe began the meeting with a budget summary for the park and recreation department for the fiscal year to date: expenditures of $477,126 for eight months, out of a total fiscal year budget of $604,150.

In subsequent discussion, several options were explored for adding facilities for kid sports, with soccer facilities being the primary focus of discussion. Funding was a significant concern in initial discussion, and remains an open question. Pros and cons of alternate sites were discussed without any final decision as to a definite location. Lowe told the committee it should reach agreement among themselves as to what path forward they would like to follow and asked them to prepare a consensus plan detailing one or two options. The groups agreed to meet again in three weeks after both groups pursue further discussion and fact-finding.