The Blountsville Town Council met Monday, Nov. 16. In attendance were newly elected Mayor Danny Baker and council members Ray Baxley, David Blaxton, Tyler Cantrell, and Shannon Elkins. Debra Sorrell was absent.
Baker opened the meeting and one of the first items on the agenda was his request for a reduction in his salary. He made a motion that his current monthly salary of $1,000 be temporarily reduced to $600 for four years. In November 2024, it would go back to $1,000. Baker explained that this reduction would allow the remainder to be used for the Town of Blountsville. The council members approved the motion. The council approved:
• Dalton NeSmith’s retainer fee.
• renewal of insurance for the fire department.
• renewal of insurance for employees.
• renewal of contract with Audrey Freeman of Avenue Insights.
• appointment of fire chief Sam Johnson as safety coordinator.
• renew Mike Benson paid monthly as fire department volunteer.
• adoption of amendment to police department policies and procedures. Other announcements
The council accepted the resignations of Caleb Morris and Destin Pace. The council will discuss the local government corporation annual hardware and website contract at its next session which is set for Monday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m.