The Blountsville Town Council met Sept. 21. Beverly Harper from Premier Family Care announced a new medical facility will open Nov. 16. Dr. Melanie Gardner and Nurse Practitioner Alaina Shockley will provide services. The office will be located at 68278 Main Street.
The council also heard from fire commissioner Sam Johnson about the need for an additional station to reach more communities. He told the council that county officials have told him they will help with a pad and gravel. Discussions are ongoing and he will provide more details as they are available.
In other business the council approved:
• resolution granting Tier I retirement benefits to Tier II employees.
• Blount County 911 contract to be made monthly.
• debris removal for the year 2020/2021.
• police vehicle surplus property.
• donation of $1,000 to Blount County Education Foundation.
• Blountsville Public Library part-time employment of Leann Cheatwood.
In attendance were Mayor Michael Glass and council members Dennis Beavers, Bob Cornelius, Ken Mullins, and Barry Smith. Cathy Irvin was absent. The next council meeting is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 5, at 6 p.m.