Kelley pleads guilty, resigns

A tenured Susan Moore High School teacher and coach resigned after pleading guilty on Tuesday, Aug. 13, in Marshall County District Court to the charge of aggravated criminal surveillance, a class A misdemeanor.

Warren Christopher Kelley, 47, entered the plea after admitting to authorities that on “multiple occasions” he had secretly observed two teenage female victims, ages 16 and 18, in a bathroom through an altered overhead vent for the purpose of “sexual gratification,” according to Marshall County Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Bray. Kelley accessed the vent through the attic of the home. The case was investigated by the Albertville Police Department.

Kelley’s sentence from a Marshall County judge did not include jail time. He was placed on probation for 24 months and fined $100 plus court costs. He does not have to register as a sex offender.

Blount County Board of Education Superintendent Rodney Green placed Kelley, an 11-year employee of the system, on paid administrative leave the day after the plea. Kelley subsequently submitted a resignation letter and it was accepted at the BCBOE meeting Monday morning.

Green said the Board will submit a report to the Alabama Department of Education, which will ultimately decide the fate of Kelley’s teaching certificate. Speaking generally and not about a specific case, Michael Sibley, a spokesperson for the state’s DOE, said once information is received from the local school and the court systems, it will be determined if the offense rises to the degree that a certificate could be revoked. If so, the teacher is entitled to due process and given an administrative hearing to determine the status of the certificate.

Kelley faced misdemeanor charges in Blount County in 2014 according to court documents. At that time, he was charged with sexual abuse in the second degree and harassment; however, the cases were dismissed when the victim, an eighth grade Susan Moore student and her mother did not go to court on the trial date. District Attorney Pamela Casey recently posted on Facebook that the victim in that case refused to come to court, which led to the dismissal of the charges.