As the 2020-2021 school year enters its final month, the Blount County Board of Education celebrated the achievements of 23 of its students and announced the 2020-2021 honor students from each school. While the students couldn’t attend the meeting in person, they joined via Zoom.
“You’ve persevered,” Superintendent Rodney Green said. “You’ve dealt with school closed, school open, remote learning, blended learning. It’s been an emotional roller coaster. Despite all that has been thrown at you, you continue to excel and lead. You represent your school and Blount County in exemplary fashion.”
Valedictorian, salutatorian, and historian from each school were also celebrated. (See chart at right.)
Following the student recognitions, the board also recognized the system’s two Teachers of the Year. The Blount County Elementary Teacher of the Year is Hayden Middle School’s Bethany Eddy. Cleveland High’s Josh Young is the Secondary Teacher of the Year. (The Blount Countian will feature the Blount County and Oneonta Teachers of the Year on May 19.)
The board then discussed Green’s operating recommendations. It approved: General
• awarding the base bid and alternate No. 1 for Susan Moore High’s restroom renovation to Williford Orman Construction, LLC.
• awarding the bid for a new serving line system at Blountsville Elementary to Hotel & Restaurant Supply.
• J.B. Pennington to host a boys’ basketball camp June 2-4.
• field trip request for Hayden’s varsity cheerleaders to attend cheer camp in Huntsville June 21-23, and junior cheerleaders to go to cheer camp in Panama City Beach July 18- 22.
• amend the salary schedule for homebound, tutoring, and other hourly services effective June 1.
• amend the contract approved on April 5, 2021, between BCBOE and Kate Swann, SLP, to increase the hourly rate of pay from $25 to $35.
• approve the camps and staff for the summer of 2021. Agreements/contracts
• Hayden Middle’s lease agreement with Berney Office Solutions for a workroom copier.
• Hayden High’s contracts for 2021 band camp and contract with Vanishia Denson to serve as a color guard instructor during the months of August, September, and October.
• Locust Fork High’s contract with Angie Sanders to conduct volleyball skills camp July 26-27.
• maintenance agreement with ACCO/GBC for the laminator at the Blount County Resource Center. Resignations
• Josh Adams, custodian, Blount County Career Technical Center, effective June 4.
• Autumn Finley, speech language pathologist, effective with the conclusion of the school year.
• Cathy Holley, school bus driver, Locust Fork schools, effective with the conclusion of the school year.
• Anna Price, Blountsville Elementary, effective with the conclusion of the school year. Retirements (effective June 1)
• Tonya Criswell, Susan Moore Elementary
• Cecelia Duvall, Hayden High
• Gary Hicks, Blount County Learning Center
• Tara Hughes, Locust Fork Elementary
• Denise Scroggins, information systems specialist, Hayden Middle
• Mike Stansberry, principal, Susan Moore High
• Sharon Vise, Cleveland Elementary Personnel
• transfer of 16 employees effective with the 2021-2022 school year.
• employ 20 individuals as certified employees beginning with the 2021- 2022 school year.
• hire one support employee beginning May 4, 2021.
• five leaves of absence.
• Kristen Dutton, RN, substitute nurse for remainder of school year.
• Child Nutrition Program staff for Summer Feeding Program, June 1 to June 30.
The Blount County Board of Education will meet again at 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 19.