This historic marker on Jefferson Avenue at the site of the former Oneonta Public Library is lovingly maintained by Jane Sims and the Rose Garden Club. The marker reads: “First Site; 1948; Oneonta Public Library. The library started as a project of the Oneonta Garden Club in the old pump house on Jefferson Avenue with 200 books. Miss Carrie Box was appointed the first librarian on October 1, 1948. Original Library Board: Mrs. J.S. Wittmeier, chairman; Ernest T. Bynum; Mrs. Frank Cheney; Geo. G. Cowden; Mrs. T.J. McPherson; Mrs. Clyde Mitchell.”
Below is the building in the early 1950s.