From the Archives

The Southern Democrat, June 6, 1979

Representative Harvey opposes governor’s school, road programs

Representative Bob Harvey is against Governor Fob James’s proposed war on illiteracy and his proposed 4- cents-per-gallon gasoline tax increase because he says Blount County stands to gain nothing by either.

“Blount County will get no money; we will get the short end of the deal. The money will go where tests run lowest – and that’s in South Alabama.”

Opposing the gasoline tax increase, Harvey said he has no objection to the governor’s plan for dividing among counties 40 percent of the $400 million the governor proposes to spend on roads. What Harvey objects to is the division of the remaining 60 percent. “Of that 60 percent, 25 percent will go to Mobile County…The whole plan has been so secretive, the administration won’t give the legislature an overall breakdown for the whole state…There’s no new construction planned for Blount County – only $468,000 to resurface and widen Ala. 79 from Locust Fork to the Jefferson County line and three miles from this way to Brooksville.”

Plans for center progress

Grading at the site of a new shopping center in Oneonta may begin in less than 30 days, Cullman developer Bert Morgan told The Democrat this week. Oneonta’s Sky-Vue property is being developed by Morgan and local investors, and Morgan says commitments from Food World and Big B Drugs have been received. Combined floor space of the two new stores may exceed 40,000 square feet, and the shopping center may increase by another 60,000 if negotiations with a national chain are successful.

“Everyone in Oneonta we have talked to have been enthusiastic. Oneonta appears to be growing, and we are negotiating with local businesses interested in locating at the shopping center,” Morgan said.

Housing development site preparation begins

Preparation of a four-acre site on McCay Avenue in Oneonta for 40 privately-owned but federally-subsidized housing units has begun. Ingle Manor, named for the late Bob Ingle who at one time owned the property, is intended for rental to the disabled or handicapped and to people 62 or older and their families.