Explosion rocks Blountsville
An explosion rocked Blountsville shortly before 11 o’clock last Friday night. Emergency responders were dispatched to what had been a dwelling on College Street and found nothing left but a burning pile of rubble and scores of frightened neighbors.
State fire marshal Phillip Freeman determined the blast had been caused by propane gas leaked from a 100-pound cylinder which had been filled that day. Freeman said, “I have investigated hundreds of explosions, but this is the most destructive one I have ever seen in a dwelling.”
Superintendent decision could come next week
“No decision will be made tonight,” said Oneonta City Board of Education president Bill Burdette said before Monday night’s called board meeting went into executive session.
“I anticipate that next week (during the board’s regular meeting) I will ask for a motion to hire one of the candidates we have interviewed and discussion will take place at that time. It is my hope that we will someone at the end of next week’s meeting.
The board is looking for a replacement for retiring Supt. Jack Housch. He is to remain through Dec. 31 with the new superintendent to take over Jan. 1.
Chiefs too tough for Eagles
For one half, the Appalachian Eagles looked one of the more talented 1A teams in the state right square in the eyes and never flinched. In the blink of an eye, though, the Eagle season was over as visiting R.A. Hubbard rolled in the second half for a 34-0 victory in last Friday’s quarterfinals.