The Blount County Economic Development Council held its annual stakeholder meeting Nov. 10 to update members on activities and accomplishments during 2015. Executive director Don Mitchell provided the following summary.
• Established office on the second floor of Cadence Bank in Oneonta and organized full-time staff of executive director and project coordinator.
• Completed design and activated official website at www.blountedc.com; site presented Award of Merit by the Southern Economic Development Council at their 2015 annual meeting.
• Awarded $50,000 grant by Appalachian Regional Commission for 2015 and 2016.
• Engaged RMP Designs to create comprehensive marketing materials for municipalities to use in business recruiting efforts.
• Created “Built in Blount” campaign to highlight products manufactured in Blount County and to work in conjunction with Alabama Department of Commerce’s “Made in Alabama” program.
• Established Blount County Manufacturers’Association to assist local manufacturers with hiring, training, and expansion.
• Assisted municipalities and organizations with grant applications and community projects.
Economic development-related events
• Selection of Oneonta to participate in Alabama Communities of Excellence (ACE) program.
• Zaxby’s Restaurant project in progress.
• S&S Supermarket opening in Cleveland.
• Expansion of Hornsby Steel and opening of Suncharge Systems.
• Wallace State Community College – Oneonta campus project begun.
You can reach the Blount County Economic Development Council at P.O. Box 94, Oneonta, AL 35121, or by phone at (205) 625-3305.