Blountsville Town Council met Monday, March 16. In attendance were Mayor Michael Glass and council members Dennis Beavers, Bob Cornelius, Cathy Irvin, Ken Mullins, and Barry Smith.
During the meeting, the council approved:
• a motion regarding Allen Gilliland’s application to abate taxes for economic development on expansion of property.
• a motion to approve a contract between the Blount County Commission and the town to provide voting machines for the municipal election in August of this year.
• a motion to appoint the town clerk as the election official for the municipal election.
• a motion for town clerk training seminar June 29 to July 1.
To be discussed at a future council meeting:
• Heather Buchanan’s application for a variance at Hays Drive to place a modular home on property (letters are currently being sent to nearby landowners).
• financial statements for the general fund for the period ending Feb. 29.
• pest control for town properties.
• park and recreation update regarding opening day and hours of operation for the Blountsville swimming pool’s 2020 season.
• update on the town’s building code ordinances.
April meetings will be dependent on continued guidance from state officials surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
For information regarding the town’s response to COVID-19, please see the article summarizing emergency action taken by councils across the county on page A3.