The Blount County Board of Education (BOE) met Aug. 6 and approved all the recommendations of Superintendent Rodney Green. It approved:
• revision of Blount County BOE policy 4.9 – Substitute Personnel; copy on file in the superintendent’s office.
• the following plans for the 2018-2019 school year: Title I LEA (Local Education Agency) Consolidated Plan, Title II Professional Development Plan, LEA Parent and Family Engagement Plan, LEA Homeless Plan, LEA EL/Immigrant Plan, LEA Migrant Plan, LEA Foster Care Stability Plan, and Neglected and Delinquent Transition Plan
• the following contracts between:
BOE and BBB Educational Enterprises Inc. to provide eight days of professional development for Blount County schools for implementation of Benchmark Literacy and Phonics, with costs not to exceed $15,192, and to be paid from Title I fiscal year 2018 and Title I fiscal year 2019 funds.
BOE and Gateway to provide school-based counseling services at Locust Fork Elementary School and High School and Susan Moore Elementary School and High School for the 2018-2019, 2019-2020, and 2020-2021 school years.
BOE and Bonnie McMichael to serve as concession stand manager at Southeastern School from Aug. 2, 2018, to June 30, 2019, and to be paid $300 per month for this service from the school’s booster club funds.
Blountsville Elementary School and Walsworth Yearbooks to publish 2019 yearbooks, to be paid from school’s local funds.
• allowing Appalachian High School varsity and junior varsity cheerleaders to host a youth cheer camp Aug. 20-22, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., with any proceeds to go directly to the school’s cheer program account.
• accepting the resignation of Candy Culwell, child nutrition employee at J. B. Pennington High School, effective July 31.
• accepting the retirement resignation of Kay Mize, special education aide at Susan Moore Elementary School, effective Sept. 1.
• granting medical/family leave of absence to a teacher a Southeastern School beginning Sept. 4 and ending Nov. 20.
• granting a medical leave of absence to an employee at Southeastern School beginning Aug. 2 and ending Sept. 30.
• transferring Stacey Ayers from special education aide at Susan Moore High School to special education aide at Susan Moore Elementary School effective Aug. 8.
• transferring Starla Thomas from special education aide at Hayden Primary School to special education aide at Hayden Elementary School effective Aug. 8.
• transferring Lucretia Branham from school bus aide at the Blount County Learning Center to school bus driver for Cleveland High School beginning Aug. 8.
• employing Amanda Bryson as a school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center beginning Aug. 8
• employing Gina Hathcock as a school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center beginning Aug. 8.
• employing Judy Morton as a school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center beginning Aug. 8.
• employing Donna Petty as a school bus driver for Cleveland High School’s session 2 bus route to and from the Blount County Career Technical Center effective Aug. 9.
• employing Frederika Thomas as a school bus driver for Cleveland High School’s session 1 bus route to and from the Blount County Career Technical Center effective Aug. 9.
• employing Crystal Dawn Owens as a long-term substitute teacher for Chelsea Tipton Walker, a teacher at Hayden Middle School, beginning Aug. 9 and ending upon the return of Ms. Walker.
• employing Peyton Shelton as a longterm substitute teacher for Jennifer Meeks, a teacher at Appalachian School, from Aug. 9 through Oct. 5.
• employing Andrea Pollard as a special education aide at Locust Fork Elementary School beginning Aug. 8.
• employing Twylia Sands as a teacher at Susan Moore Elementary School beginning Aug. 6.
• accepting the superintendent’s recommended list of substitute teachers, substitute aides, and support substitutes dated Aug. 6 and on file in the superintendent’s office.
• accepting the following individuals recommended as substitute nurses for the 2018-2019 school year: Cortnie Beasley, RN; Holly Putman, RN; Sonya Boatright, RN; Christy Massey Ray, RN; Heidi Chambers, RN; Vicki Reid, RN; Heather Cowart, RN; Wendy Brown Saye, LPN; Kara Fuller Heinrich, RN; Magan Trammell, RN; Kem Hamrick, RN; Tiffany Walker, RN; Jamie Holmes, RN; Mary Grace White, RN; Beverly Jones, RN; and Patty Willoughby, RN.