The Blountsville Town Council met Jan. 13. Susan Blythe spoke of the upcoming registration dates for youth baseball, t-ball and softball for the 2020 season. Registration began Jan. 14, and runs through Jan. 31. If needed, they will extend the deadline up to Feb. 14. Practice typically begins around the first of March, tournaments around the middle of March, and season officially begins with the first games on April 2.
In other business, the council approved:
• installation of two additional security cameras through Stream South Communications.
• Alabama Municipal Insurance Corporation annual premium for next three years.
• advertisement for employment for park and pool employees for the 2020 summer season.
• hiring an adult to assist part-time during softball tournaments.
• motion to purchase new softball net.
• March clean up from March 1 to April 1.
• Cedar Lane Farms to haul rock for bridge at park, not to exceed four loads.
• motion to replace lights on K9 vehicle.
These items are to be discussed at next work session:
• Sand Mountain Pest Management bid presentation for pest control services.
• salary discussion for mayor and council.
• discuss updating ordinances and budget.
• fire commissioner Sam Johnson’s discussion of insurance.
In attendance were Mayor Michael Glass and council members Dennis Beavers, Bob Cornelius, Cathy Irvin, Ken Mullins, and Barry Smith. The next meeting has been rescheduled from Jan. 20, to Feb. 3, at 6 p.m.