The Blount County Board of Education, in its Oct. 7 meeting, approved Superintendent Rodney Green’s recommendations to adopt the Blount County Schools’ Continuous Improvement Plans, its procurement plan for Child Nutrition Programs, and the 2020- 2021 and 2021-2022 proposed school calendars showing holidays scheduled for the coming two school years. The board also approved the remainder of Green’s routine operating recommendations. It approved:
Renewal of the following bids:
• general construction, demolition, and repair, Jerry Tidwell Construction.
• gasoline and diesel fuel, The McPherson Companies, Inc.
• HVAC units, Wittichen Supply Company.
• metal roofing, Central States Manufacturing.
• parking lot striping, Trueline Striping.
• asphalt seal coating and asphalt paving, Whitaker Contracting Corporation.
• dump truck hauling and excavation, Dennis Horton Excavation & Dump Truck Hauling.
• tires, Wilkes Tire and Battery.
• Appalachian’s copier contract with Sharp Business Systems for a new copier (current contract to be cancelled prior to the new contract).
• Cleveland Elementary’s contracts with: Sharp Business Systems GA/ AL for three new copiers; Walsworth Yearbooks for the 2019-2020 yearbook publication.
• Cleveland High’s agreements with: Walsworth Yearbooks for the 2019-2020 yearbook publication; Sharp Business Systems GA/AL for a three-year lease for a new copier and a one-year maintenance agreement.
• Hayden High’s contracts with: Paris Whitaker to provide colorguard instruction from July 22 to Oct. 25 and to serve as a band competition judge on Oct. 19.
• Locust Fork High’s contracts with: Wendy Oden to serve as the concession stand supervisor and Joseph Parise to serve as the clock keeper for the 2019-2020 basketball season.
• Susan Moore Elementary’s contracts with: Herff Jones for the 2019- 2020 yearbook publication; Untethered to provide specialized technology training during the 2019-2020 school year.
• Blount County Board of Education’s contracts/agreements with: Milestones Behavior Group, Inc. for the 2019-2020 school year; Alabama Department of Education (#X2OO161) for the Alabama Teacher Mentor Program from Oct. 1, 2019, to Oct. 31, 2020; Dewon Farmer to serve as administrator and Joey Kirby to serve as instructor for the Electrical Craft Training Grant (night class), from Oct. 1, 2019, to Oct. 31, 2020; #AE0087JC14 with the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services; homebound contract #HB19/20-003 with Linda Tidwell.
Leaves of absence
• Lori Arthur, special education aide at Susan Moore Elementary, from Oct. 24 to Dec. 24.
• Brittney Henderson, teacher at Hayden Middle, from Oct. 28 to Dec. 20.
• Martha Cathern Holley, school bus driver for Locust Fork schools, effective Nov. 1.
• Phillip Kyle Ellison, utility school bus driver, effective Oct. 8.
• Gail Murphree, school bus aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Oct. 8.
• amending Appalachian’s 2019-2020 supplements list to assign Paige Latta an assistant band director supplement.
• Madison Beasley, RN, substitute nurse for Blount County Schools for 2019-2020 school year.
• Southeastern’s field trip request for the FFA (10) to go to the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Ga., Oct. 15-16.