The Blount County Board of Education recognized two long-service employees on the occasion of their upcoming retirement at the outset of its regular monthly meeting Monday (see photos page A4). It approved Greg Reid as the education nominee for the Board of Equalization, replacing Bill Bynum, who retired. The board also approved monthly financial reports and the monthly payroll before approving Superintendent Rodney Green’s operating recommendations for the period. The board approved:
Credit card accounts
• allowing Hayden High School and Southeastern School to open an additional checking account to be used only for credit card processing; also allowing the Blount County Career Technical Center, Blountsville Elementary School, Cleveland Elementary School, Hayden Primary School, Hayden Elementary School, Hayden Middle School, Locust Fork Elementary School, and Susan Moore Elementary School to open additional checking accounts as needed, only for credit card processing.
• awarding the bid for baseball and softball fields for Cleveland High School to Adams Building Company of Blountsville for approximately $1.39 million.
• awarding the bids for acoustical ceiling tiles and painting to Philip Barnett of Locust Fork.
• extending the contract for the Child Nutrition Program’s pest control service through Nov. 30, 2021.
• Cleveland High School’s contracts with the On To College Program for ACT prep and ACT fundamentals from Nov. 1, 2019, to Dec. 31, 2020, and with Birmingham Charter Service to transport the varsity football team, varsity cheerleaders, and marching band to and from Sulligent High School Nov. 8; three-year lease agreement with CDI Technologies for 180 Chromebooks with the option to purchase at the end of the agreement.
• Hayden Primary School’s contracts with Debra McPherson to provide tier III reading intervention from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31, and from Nov. 1, 2019, to Sept. 30, 2020.
• Locust Fork High School’s contract with Trugreen Commercial for baseball field maintenance from Oct. 1, 2019, to Sept. 30, 2020.
• Southeastern School’s contracts with Cynthia Dougherty to serve as the concession stand manager from Aug. 1, 2019, to May 31, 2020, and Cline Tours to transport students to and from Atlanta May 8, 2020.
• Susan Moore High School’s contract with Heath Lauderdale for an additional supplement from the Susan Moore High School Touchdown Club for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Blount County Board of Education’s homebound contract #HB19/20-007 with Elizabeth Garnett and travel contract with Jennifer Leach from Oct. 1, 2019, to May 27, 2020. Field trips
• allowing Hayden Middle School’s fifth-grade students (team 1) to go to Camp McDowell in Nauvoo May 4-6, 2020, and team two of the school’s fifth grade to make the same trip May 6-8, 2020. Volunteers
• the following non-compensated volunteers for the 2019-2020 school year: James Williamson, Cleveland High School and Heath Adams, J.B. Pennington High School. Leaves of absence
• Jennifer Arrington, teacher at Blountsville Elementary School, from Nov. 21 to Dec. 20.
• Belinda Rogers, school bus driver for Locust Fork schools, from Oct. 10 to Nov. 26.
• Judith Robinette, school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center, from Nov. 8 to Dec. 20. Resignations
• Meghan King, career coach at the Blount County Career Technical Center, effective Nov. 8.
• Juanita Thomas, school bus driver for Susan Moore schools and the Blount County Career Technical Center, effective Jan. 1, 2020 (retirement).
• Kayce Thomas Smith, utility school bus driver, effective Nov. 8. Employment
• Tracy Ellen Johnson as special education aide at Susan Moore Elementary
School from Nov. 4 to the end of the 2019-2020 school year. Other
• the 2019-2020 math textbook committee, consisting of elementary and secondary teachers and community representatives.
Board members Philip Cleveland, Jackie Sivley, Bill Ferry, and board president Chris Latta were present at the regular meeting. Member Ken Benton was absent.