The Blount County Board of Education continues to fill many positions left vacant from recent retirements, transfers, and resignations. In its regular monthly meeting last week, the board addressed many of those vacancies approving superintendent Rodney Green’s recommendations.
The board also addressed several other superintendent recommendations. It approved:
• constitutional bylaws for the Southeastern School Band Boosters.
• Hayden High baseball camp at Auburn University, June 14-17 and varsity girls basketball tournament in Gatlinburg, Tenn., Dec. 27-30.
• contracts with employees for extended school year services and COVID-19 impact services during the summer of 2021.
• agreement with The Learning Tree, Inc., Sept. 16, 2021, through Sept. 15, 2022.
• agreement with Untether, LLC for the 2021-2022 school year.
• agreement #X210530 with the Alabama State Department of Education to support the Jobs for Alabama’s Graduates program for the 2021-2022 school year.
• contract with Ackerson & Associates, May 20 through Oct. 30.
• contract with Lacey Wood, April 7 through Oct. 1.
• agreement with Schaeffer Manufacturing Company.
• memorandum of agreement with Kimberly Goodwin and the Alabama State Department of Education, July 1, 2020, and continuing for up to three years (subject to annual renewals). Goodwin will serve as ARI Regional staff.
• contract with Jodi Lucas to perform preschool evaluations, referrals, eligibilities, and preschool reports, July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
• contract with Stephanie Holland for bookkeeping duties, June 7 through July 16.
• Cleveland High contracts with Cate Ann Davis to work with the auxiliary team, July 19 through Nov. 30; and Lorri Williamson to work with the band, July 19 through July 30.
• Hayden Elementary contract with Melissa Bridges to provide custodial work, June 1 through July 31.
• Locust Fork High contract with Taste at the Birmingham Zoo for the 2022 prom; Mary St. Laurent to provide color guard instruction for the 2021 camp and 2021 marching season.
• Locust Fork Elementary three-year leasing agreement with Xerox for school copiers, beginning June 8.
• Susan Moore High agreement with 256 Photos, Cullman, for the 2021-2022 school year.
• Blount County Learning Center contract with Crystal Aycock to work up to 10 additional days during the summer of 2021.
• amended contract (approved Oct. 1, 2020) between the BCBOE and Dr. Rhonda Poling to increase the “not to exceed” amount to $40,000.
• adopted the entire list of state adopted textbooks, supplementary materials, and programs as well as Cengage Financial Algebra.
• additional staff for 2021 summer programs.
• to pay a stipend in the amount of $150 to participants, not on contract, to attend the IMSE/Orton-Gillingham Multisensory Training (limited to 60 teachers), June 7-11.
• adopted a resolution to purchase 6.72 acres in Cleveland from Robert E. and Rosa R. Baty.
Leaves of absence
• Jessica Reed Green, through June 8.
• Esperanza Meullion, May 17 through June 28.
• Wendy Morrison, extend medical leave of absence through June 3.
• Rhonda Stricklin, April 28 through May 17.
• Stacy Ayers, special education aide, Susan Moore Elementary, effective June 1 (retirement).
• Tara Best, special education aide, Hayden Middle, effective with the conclusion of the 2020-2021 school year.
• Brittany L. Peak, teacher, Susan Moore, May 28.
• Michelle Lawless Searcy, teacher, Southeastern, May 28.
• Amy Wilemon, school counselor at Cleveland High, July 1 (retirement).
Employees (certified positions begin Aug. 2)
• Brett Horne, science teacher, Appalachian.
• Britney Franklin Cronin, teacher, Hayden Middle, Aug. 2 (contingent upon certification).
• Shari Brown, special education teacher, J.B.Pennington (contingent upon certification).
• Abbey Bice, elementary teacher, Southeastern (contingent upon certification).
• Joseph Irby, secondary science teacher, Southeastern.
• Cristin Elliott and Tina Wiley, teachers, Susan Moore Elementary.
• Holly Brown, pre-K auxiliary teacher, Appalachian, beginning Aug 2.
• Kelsey Birdyshaw, RN, school nurse, Blount County Schools, beginning Aug. 2.
• Ernest Lewis Mason, 11-month custodian, Blount County Career Technical Center, beginning June 21.
• Kellye Dawn Turner, child nutrition program worker, J.B.Pennington, beginning July 30 (contingent upon background clearance through the Alabama State Department of Education).
• Lisa Tyler, custodian, Locust Fork Elementary, beginning Aug. 3.
• Sonya Duffel and Rebecca Smith, extend contract from nine months to 10 months to assume additional duties of an Exceptional Education Program specialist/teacher beginning July 19.
• Dr. Elizabeth Carol Thompson, from improvement specialist to Federal Programs Coordinator for Blount County Schools, beginning July 1.
• Carnell Spradlin II, from assistant principal/teacher to principal at Susan Moore Elementary, effective July 1.
The board will meet again at 1 p.m. next Wednesday, June 16. Meetings are held at the Blount County Board of Education office located at 204 Second Avenue East, Oneonta.