The Blount County Board of Education heard the first reading of the 2020 fiscal year budget in special session last week, following approval of Superintendent Rodney Green’s routine operating recommendations. The board approved:
• field trips: Locust Fork Elementary School’s sixth-grade students to go to Camp Cosby, March 18-20, 2020; Southeastern School’s fourth- and fifth-grade students to go to the Atlanta Aquarium and Coca-Cola factory, May 8, 2020; Susan Moore Elementary School’s sixth-grade students to go to Camp Cosby, May 11-13, 2020.
• list of Federal Program plans for 2019-2020 school year.
• payment of $3,826 to Alabama Trust for Boards of Education (ATBE) for 2019/2020 general liability/errors and omissions liability fund coverage.
• allowing Cleveland High School, J.B. Pennington High School, and Susan Moore High School to open additional checking accounts to be used only for credit card transactions.
Agreements and contracts
• Blount County Board of Education’s contracts with: Linda T. Johnson to provide instructional coaching services to Appalachian from Oct. 1, 2019, to Sept. 20, 2020; Brittany Peak, contract HB19/20-0002, from Aug. 23, 2019, to Sept. 9, 2020; Rhonda Poling, to address the Grandparents’ Support Group at various schools, the Kid Crafters’ Parent Involvement Program, to counsel students referred by various schools and/or by the county school social worker, and to serve students attending the Alternative School from Oct. 1, 2019, to Sept. 30, 2020.
• Cleveland High contracts/agreements with: Sharp Business Systems’ three-year lease agreement beginning Aug. 15, 2019; Camelot Bus Charter & Tours to transport the football team, cheerleaders, and band to and from Ranburne on Sept. 20; Caleb Salamone to tutor students attending Cleveland High from Oct. 1, 2019, to May 25, 2020; Josh Young to provide tutoring services from Oct. 1, 2019, to May 25, 2020; Universal Sound/Scott Adams for the 2020 prom.
• Hayden Elementary contract with Herff Jones for printing 2019-2020 yearbooks.
• Locust Fork Elementary contract with Birmingham Charter Service to transport fourth-grade students to and from Montgomery on Nov. 8.
• Susan Moore Elementary contract with Untethered to provide instructional technology for the 2019-2020 school year.
• leaves of absence: Sherry McCoy, CNP employee at Blountsville Elementary, Aug. 22 to Oct. 21; Ashley Pace, special education aide at Hayden Middle, Sept. 5 to Oct. 31.
• resignations: Stephanie Overstreet, CNP director, effective Sept. 20.; Rachel Williams, teacher at Hayden Primary, effective Aug. 26.
• employment (certified): Cody Alldredge, health education teacher at Susan Moore High, effective Sept. 3, contingent on certification through the Alabama State Department of Education; Julie Hambley, elementary teacher at Hayden Primary, effective Sept. 3.
• employment (support): Abigail Ganus, special education aide at Hayden Primary, effective Sept. 3; Leigh Ann Reaves, special education aide at Locust Fork Elementary, effective Sept. 3, contingent on passing WorkKeys.