Blount County Board of Education
The Blount County Board of Education approved the 2019- 2020 district salary schedule effective July 1, at the same time approving the 4 percent state pay increase for all state employees, effective with the first day of each individual’s 2019- 2020 contract. The board also approved employing nine new teachers and seven new support employees, in preparation for the 2019-2020 school year. (See approved recommendations below.) In addition, the board approved Superintendent Rodney Green’s operating recommendations for July.
• bids from School Specialty Inc. for six lab work stations (epoxy top with sink and door) for Susan Moore High, and Bresco Inc. for a Rational combi-oven for Cleveland High cafeteria.
• revising the instructions for completing and submitting Statement of Travel Forms for reimbursement.
• payment of $15,000 for the 2019-2020 Alabama Associa- tion of School Boards membership fees.
• field trip requests from Locust Fork High varsity football to go to team camp at Jacksonville State University, July 9-10; Cleveland Elementary third to sixth grade gifted students to go to Marine Science Adventures in Gulf Shores, April 29 – May 20, 2020; Cleveland Elementary fifth- and sixthgrade gifted students to go to New York City, Oct. 25-28, 2020.
• non-compensated volunteers: Mike Dutton as junior high basketball coach at Locust Fork High during summer 2019 and 2019-2020 school year; Bobby Johns as varsity basketball coach at Locust Fork High during summer 2019 and 2019-2020 school year. Agreements and contracts
• BCBOE: 99-year lease agreement (beginning July 1, 2019, and ending July 1, 2118) with the Town of Blountsville for the baseball field and surrounding area owned by the town for use by J.B. Pennington baseball team; memo of agreement with the juvenile court of Blount County for 2019-2020; contract with Resolutions in Special Education for a presentation on Sept. 19; contract with UAB School of Education for pre-service teacher candidates’ field experiences and internship; dual enrollment/dual credit agreement with Wallace State Community College; contract with Kayla Duncan, RN, to provide nursing services for students requiring medical care during extracurricular activities July 1 to Aug. 31; contracts with Jordan Graham and Seth Wadsworth to provide custodial services at Southeastern School during this summer; homebound contract extension (#HB18/19- 011) with Pam Branham Hughes; contract with Mckinley Beavers to assist with the distribution of textbooks and resources during this summer.
• Hayden Primary fundraising agreement with Charleston Wrap, Oct 1-15.
• Hayden Elementary contract with Robin Padgett to work with the school’s choir from Aug. 8, 2019, to May 21, 2020.
• Hayden Middle contract with Exceptional Exteriors LLC for pressure washing during this summer.
• Cleveland High: contracts with Allan Conaway, Victoria Green, Marlana Matthews, and Lorri Williamson to work with the band during summer camp; contract with Lauren Faulkner to work with the auxiliary team from July 5, 2019, to May 22, 2020;
• Locust Fork High contract with Zondra Patterson to serve as a medication assistant for the school on July 9-10.
• the Blount County Schools Parent Student Handbook and Student Code of Conduct, with associated school handbooks for the 2019-2020 school year. Personnel
• accepting the following resignations: Curtis Alexander, math teacher at J.B. Pennington High, effective June 11; Timothy Baker, custodian at Southeastern School, effective June 7; Kristen D. King, teacher at Susan Moore Elementary, effective June 6; Meredith Moore, teacher at Susan Moore Elementary, effective June 12; Elizabeth Ashley Speer, teacher at Susan Moore Elementary, effective June 12.
• transferring the following employees: Heather Banks, from teacher at Blountsville Elementary to school counselor at J.B. Pennington High and Susan Moore High, effective July 22; Bitsy B. Fendley from speech/language pathologist to special education coordinator trainee for Blount County Schools, effective July 8; Jennifer Baldwin Hicks from kindergarten teacher to pre-K teacher at Locust Fork Elementary, effective Aug. 5; Mindy Horton from pre-K auxiliary teacher at Cleveland Elementary to physical education aide at Cleveland High, effective Aug. 6; Tracie Sha Sorensen from kindergarten teacher to pre-K teacher at Hayden Primary, effective Aug. 5; Keith Moore from teacher/assistant principal to assistant principal at Southeastern School, effective July 22; Amanda Anderson from school bus aide at the Blount County Learning Center to pre-K auxiliary teacher at Cleveland Elementary, effective Aug. 6.
• employing the following certified individuals: Abby Thomason as teacher at Blountsville Elementary, effective Aug. 5, contingent on certification through the Alabama Department of Education; Aja Ralph as library media specialist at Hayden Elementary, effective Aug. 5; Rhonda Adams as math teacher at J.B. Pennington High, effective Aug. 5; Ashley Boozer as teacher at Locust Fork Elementary School, effective Aug. 5; Aimee Hardy as English/language arts teacher at Southeastern School, contingent on background clearance and certification; Natasha Chadwick, Kednall Nicole Hayes, and Jada Tolbert as teachers at Susan Moore Elementary, effective Aug. 5; Holly Christian as an English/ language arts teacher at Susan Moore High, effective Aug. 5, contingent on certification.
• employing the following support employees: Karin Fore as special education aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 6; Jennifer Lynn King as pre-K auxiliary teacher at Hayden Primary, effective Aug. 6; Dawn Calhoun as special education aide at Hayden Elementary, effective Aug. 6; Donna Denise Duckworth as custodian at Hayden Middle, effective July 15, contingent on background clearance; Katelyn Bailey as pre-K auxiliary teacher and Shanna King as special education aide at Locust Fork Elementary, effective Aug. 6; Melissa Sansing as Child Nutrition Program employee at Southeastern School, effective July 31.
• granting a leave of absence to Carrie Pickle, teacher at Southeastern School, from Aug. 5 to Sept 16.
• placing Barbara Robertson, RN, supervising school nurse, on a 240-day contract, effective July 1.
All members were present at the board’s regular meeting Monday: Ken Benton, District 1; Jackie Sivley, District 2; Philip Cleveland, District 3; Bill Ferry, District 4; and Chris Latta, District 5. The next board meting is Friday, July 19, at 8:30 a.m. The next regular meeting is Monday, Aug. 5, at 1 p.m.