Banquet of blue



Jim Ed Clayton assists Lydia, age 7, daughter of Jimmy and Mitsy Sewart, with last year’s door prize drawing.

Jim Ed Clayton assists Lydia, age 7, daughter of Jimmy and Mitsy Sewart, with last year’s door prize drawing.

Starting today and continuing throughout the month of April, The Children’s Center staff will wear blue ribbons in honor of Child Abuse Awareness Month.

The color blue represents child abuse awareness, and The Children’s Center will bring that issue to light during the Blue Ribbon Dinner on Tuesday, April 14, at the World Outreach Center, beginning at 6 p.m.

“The night will be more about entertainment, good food, and door prizes for those who have helped support us throughout the years, but we do take the opportunity to also explain what our mission is during the dinner,” said executive director Jim Ed Clayton.

 

 

The fundraising dinner will feature humorist, songwriter, and speaker Aaron Wilburn, who is sponsored by Hometown Bank. Lee Alexander, of Charlie B’s Restaurant, will provide the food, and the night will end with a drawing including prizes such as a three-night stay in Pigeon Forge, a two-night stay at Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa, 14-karat yellow gold lemon quartz drop earrings, a family gym membership, Covered Bridge Players season pass, and more.

Through the efforts of the 23-member board of volunteers, all tables at the event have been sold, but Clayton says opportunities may be available for general admission and tickets for the drawing can be purchased by calling 274-7226.

This yearly event is the center’s main fundraiser. Last year, the dinner raised $30,000 for the non-profit organization which is not even one-tenth of the approximately $400,000 a year it takes to fund the center, according to Clayton.

In total, 60 percent of the funding comes from individual and company contributions, which includes United Way. The remaining 40 percent is through local, state, and federal grants.