Local produce available this week includes:
• Witt Farms in Nectar: green house tomatoes, peaches, squash, cucumbers, Vidalia onions, plums, nectarines, blackberries, homemade peanut brittle. Field tomatoes will be ready in a few days.
•McCray’s Old Field Farm: yellow crookneck squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, and butternut squash.
• Hazelrig Orchard: Red Haven and Eight Ball peaches, plums, nectarines, yellow squash, cucumbers, zucchini, green tomatoes, blueberries, and a variety of peppers.
• Allman Farm and Orchard: Red Haven peaches, yellow squash, pickling cucumbers, yellow onions, and a few green tomatoes.
• Baswell Farms: squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, banana peppers, and jalapeno peppers
• Snead Produce: red potatoes, red creamer potatoes, squash, cucumbers, cabbage, peaches, plums, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, sweet banana pepper, and hot banana pepper.
New to the list this week are:
• Barb’s Berries and Blessings Orchard (8475 County Highway 27): Barbara Atkinson and her husband Curtis have beautiful locally-grown blueberries. They offer u-pick berries as well. Phone 205-281-6963 for more information.
• Copeland Farms (205 Cliff Springs Road): You will find squash, sweet and jalapeno peppers, and maybe an ear or two of corn. They will have pole beans in the next couple of weeks.
As always, locally grown fruits and vegetables can be found at the Blount County Farmer’s Market each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday morning. Available there are: okra, peaches-and-cream corn, rattlesnake green beans, cabbage, a wide variety of peppers, squash, cucumbers, potatoes, peaches, and blackberries. Also available are fried pies (Saturday only), jellies, pepper sauce, various pickled vegtables, cucumber salad, and chow chow.