After several work sessions dedicated to discussion of the FY2022 budget, the Oneonta City Council approved it in their final meeting of FY2021. The budget in its entirety can be found on the city’s website at www.cityofoneonta.us.
Mayor Richard Phillips and the council honored Dixie Dailey and Carl Frye for their hard work and dedication to the Oneonta Public Library. After serving on the library board for 16 years (Dailey) and 24 years (Frye), the two decided to step aside.
“Thank you for allowing me to be on this board for so many years,” Dailey remarked to the council after receiving her award. “It has been a pleasure, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.”
Aleyda Villegas and Diane Lee were nominated to fill their positions on the library board. Their appointments were approved and made official during the meeting.
In a proclamation read by council member Sherry Pierce, Oct. 3 through 9 was declared Fire Prevention Week. The week will serve as a way to further educate the public on fire safety and raise awareness about the dangers of house fires. The proclamation states that 2,770 people were killed in home fires in the United States in 2019. Instilling Fire Prevention Week will hopefully provide information to lower that number in the coming years.
This year’s theme for Fire Prevention Week is “Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety,” during which an emphasis will be put on what the different alarms mean and what members of a household can do to be more prepared should an incident occur. Residents are advised to establish an evacuation plan in case of a fire and have a smoke alarm installed somewhere in their home, as well as know the sound of the alarm and how to respond should it go off.
In other business the council approved:
• setting a public hearing on Oct. 12, at 5 p.m., for the purpose of discussing rezoning property located on Park Avenue, filed by Quality-of-Life Health Service.
• setting a public hearing on Oct. 12, at 5:15 p.m., for the purpose of discussing rezoning property located on 201 and 203 Shirley Street, filed by Real Estate Holding Venture.
• setting a public hearing on Oct. 12, at 5:30 p.m., for the purpose of discussing the alcohol license application on behalf of Southern Smokes, LLC.
• resolution number 0921-02 concerning entering into Alabama Association of Fire Chiefs Mutual Aid Consortium Agreement.
• hiring part-time temporary park and recreational concession employees.
The Oneonta City Council meets at 6 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. The business meeting follows a 5:45 p.m. work session.