The Blount County Board of Education approved Superintendent Rodney Green’s operating recommendations in its Monday meeting as the district prepares for the opening day of the 2019-2020 school year tomorrow, Aug. 8.
Green also announced the tentative schedule for the next three board meetings. Monday, Aug. 19, at 1 p.m., is a special meeting called primarily to approve late hires to fill out the ranks of both certified and support personnel. Friday, Aug. 30, at 8:30 a.m., is a school board budget hearing meeting. Monday, Sept 9, at 1 p.m., is a combined regular meeting plus a second budget hearing. All meetings are open to the public.
The board approved the following recommendations: Resignations
• Jennifer Jackson, a teacher at the Blount County Learning Center, effective July 23.
• Charles Longshore, a teacher at Hayden Middle School, effective Aug. 2.
• Janet Smith, a teacher at Susan Moore Elementary School, effective July 29.
• Christy Stephens, a guidance counselor at the Blount County Career Technical Center, effective July 19. Leaves of absence
• Taylor Johnson Love, a teacher at Hayden Elementary School, from Aug. 5 to Oct. 25.
• Rosa Noles, JAG (Jobs for Alabama) specialist at the Blount County Career Technical Center, from Aug. 5 to Sept. 13.
• Susan Price, a special education aide at Hayden Middle School, from Aug. 6 to Aug. 31. Transfers
• Gerald Burns, from utility school bus driver to school bus driver for the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 6.
• Kendra Compton, from half-time Child Nutrition Program employee/half-time office aide at Cleveland High School to office aide at Locust Fork High School, effective Aug. 6.
• Kimberly Hall, from Child Nutrition Program employee to half-time Child Nutrition Program employee/ half-time office aide at Cleveland High School, effective Aug. 5.
• Connie Millwood, from Bridge Academy and JAG counselor to guidance counselor for the Blount County Career Technical Center, effective July 29.
• Lisa Whittington, from computer lab aide at Appalachian School to elementary teacher at Locust Fork Elementary School, effective Aug. 5. Employment-certified employees
• Sonya White Dalrymple as a collaborative special education teacher at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 5.
• Karla D. Stephens as a speech/ language pathologist for Blount County Schools (based at Southeastern School), effective Aug. 5.
• Sarah Ray as a long-term substitute teacher for Taylor Johnson Love, a teacher at Hayden Elementary School, from Aug. 5 to Oct. 25. Employment-support employees
• LaShanda Baker as a special education aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 6.
• Kim Cardwell as a school bus aide at the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 6.
• Keri Phillips as a Child Nutrition Program employee at Southeastern School, effective Aug. 5.
• Lisa Sites as a school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 6.
• Wade Trimm as a maintenance technician for Blount County Schools, effective Aug. 6 (contingent on background clearance from the Alabama State Department of Education).
• Tammy Quinn as a school bus aide for the Blount County Learning Center, effective Aug. 12. Contracts
• Board of Education contracts with: Jon Mark Cooper Jr. to conduct Appalachian
School’s 2019 football spring training; Alabama Pediatric Therapy to provide speech/language therapy and occupational therapy to preschool children at Ratchford Head Start and church daycares for students who reside in the Blount County Schools District during the 2019-2020 school year; Pediatric Therapy Associates Inc. to provide physical therapy services during the 2019-2020 school year; Megan Lowery, RN, and Jessica Owensby, RN, to provide nursing services for students requiring medical care during extracurricular activities from Aug. 8, 2019, to Sept. 3, 2020.
• Locust Fork High School contracts with: Randy Coleman to announce all home football games during the 2019 season; Wendy Owen to supervise the concession stand for football and volleyball during the 2019 seasons. Other matters
• the following substitute workers for the 2019-2020 school year: school teachers, school nurses, and clerical, custodial, and lunchroom workers.
• Appalachian football team request to go to the Southeast Sports Academy in Ashville, Aug. 9-11.
• Susan Moore junior high cheerleader squad to host a Mini Me cheerleader camp from Sept. 10 to Oct. 31.
• payments for the Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools’ Leadership Institute/Professional Development Program for the 2019-2020 school year, and the School Superintendents of Alabama membership through Sept. 30, 2020.
• Appalachian School request to open an additional checking account to be used only for credit card processing deposits.
• amending the 2019-2020 salary schedule to include a girls’ soccer coach supplement.